I made turmeric tea … and it didn’t suck!!
Can we just be honest for a second?
I *LOVE* all things natural, magical, and beautiful (hence why I created the BehatiLIFE apothecary!) however there are some areas where I simply just draw the line… food or drinks that look cloudy or taste bitter are definitely one of them! I know, I’m almost 30 years old and should be more mature with my taste palate and sometimes I need a whole lot of coaxing to try the unfamiliar and then *gasp* actually like it!
I know the benefits of the seasoning turmeric are long and wonderful (detoxifies the liver, powerful anti-inflammatory, cancer fighting, memory boosting, and also for the beauty benefits!) but I’ve cooked with it a few times and just wasn’t satisfied or in love with my meal and the end results and could taste the bitter punch in every bite. To make it into a tea would have just been unheard of!!!
However, flash forward to a few months after unsuccessfully adding the seasoning into my cooking I find myself back over the stove again… only this time I would actually be drinking this golden milky potion. Not going to lie I was nervous (I have a super sensitive stomach!) and tricked my boyfriend to being my taste test subject so I could watch his face try the tea first before I took my first sip!
Guess what! IT DIDN’T SUCK! It was actually really really good!
Before I dive into the recipe I used let’s go over the benefits that I researched and found before you decide to take the plunge like I (bravely! Ha!) did!
Let’s be crystal clear- I’m no food nutritionist or scientist, so all of the information I’ve found and pulled was from studies and articles I’ve found, plus their own rave reviews.
- Natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties to fight infections of all kinds!
- Detoxes the liver- which in Chinese medicine is connected to anger and resentment. When you detox the liver you are allowing those pent up feelings to loosen and let go!
- It’s believed to improve memory, clear the mind of “fog”, and fight off Alzheimer’s.
- Used as a natural and powerful pain reliever! This fact blew me away!
- Helps to maintain weight and metabolism
- Awesome for naturally beautiful and glowing skin! Also, when added on the skin helps to remove and fade scars ;)
- Awesome in helping upset stomach plus poop blockages (a.k.a. constipation)
The list of benefits goes and on and on!
- - Pinch of cinnamon
- - Pinch of clove
- - Pinch of nutmeg
- - 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- - 1 ½ cups of water
- - Raw honey
- - Milk of your choice (almond, soy, coconut, cow, hemp, etc.)
Here’s what I did:
- Slow simmered the herbs with the water together for about 10 minutes.
- Add the milk to the mixture
- Pour into a cup and enjoy J
The end result? An almost milk tea beverage for you to “chai”!
Post your own brewed cups on Insta using hashtag #BehatiVibeTribe and let me know what you think!
Love and light to you all and enjoy!